Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Follow up on a Few Things

1. Yesterday afternoon was spent holding new baby nephew and visiting with my brother and sister-in-law. Baby spent a few extra days at Children's Hospital due to a bit of a fever which caused concern since his mommy and daddy are so recently from Uganda. Praise God that the cultures and tests have been coming back normal and little man only had the elevated temp the one time.

2. Blueberry picking did happen last week for a bit! Jacob was a major picker! We came home with just under a gallon and have been enjoying cobbler and homemade ice cream as well as blueberry muffins for Sunday breakfast. We had the joy of providing "first time" experience to a friend who had never had homemade ice cream (gasp....shocking I know!). All in good fun.

3. Honeybees provided a bit of a challenge to us. The wooden bench on which 2 active hives now resides is starting to come apart. Hives should not really be moved much during the active season. If you have to move hives (like we did when we moved) it's best to move them a few miles. We also did that in the dead of winter when the hive was much lighter, and the bees were not out and about. But our current situation involves heavy hives and active bees! So, I suited up in my bee jacket/veil because I was a bit nervous and we went traipsing out after dark last night with concrete blocks and pieces of wood to provide a temporary fix until winter! The bees sounded angry, and there were some bees clustered around the entrance even after dark (it has been pretty hot). We discovered that they would fly towards us if we had the flashlight on, so we worked in the dark. We seemed to have provided enough support to catch the bench if it falls...whew!

3a. My husband laughed a bit in the discovery that the honeybee would fly towards the flashlight while lighted, but as soon as the light was switched off the bee would dive into the grass confused by the darkness. He may have done that a time or two :)

4. This afternoon, with my parents providing childcare, we are off to collect more firewood. It will be some good exercise!

5. I have been thankful for soap and body butter orders recently! You know, soap makes an excellent hostess gift for your summer travels paired maybe with a handknit washcloth?


6. I'm working on projects for my blog swap partner. Oh, it is so fun to think of someone enjoying the things I send off. Not gonna lie, it is super fun to receive a package in the mail, too! I'll post a picture when that happens :)

2 comments:

  1. Praising God for your little nephews good health! Fevers and babies are scary... Praising God (and chuckling, too) at your beehive adventures. Sounds like something my dh would do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been a lot of berry picking here too, it's a bummer season which is so nice.
    I have a basket of cloths I knit and some soap curing for Christmas gifts.
    The swap is fun isn't it? Have fun creating.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to hear from you; comment away!